- Deben Soundings – an AHRC funded Research Network project run by Simon Read and Helene Burningham [Imagining the measure of change, under the Landscape Decisions programme]
- Suffolk inlets – ongoing research by Helene Burningham around coastal change along the Suffolk coast, including a tool to access the most recent cloud free imagery of the Deben and Alde/Ore inlets
Past research projects with DEP involvement
2018-2020 Suffolk Marine Pioneer
- Burdon D, Potts T (2020) Participatory mapping of natural capital and benefits: method guidance document. Daryl Burdon Ltd, Willerby, UK, report to Suffolk Marine Pioneer, 34pp, (Report No. DB LTD 007/2019c).
- Cosgrove P (2020) Suffolk Marine Pioneer: Lessons & recommendations for applying the natural capital approach in England. Suffolk Coast & Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Dock Lane, Melton, 58pp.
- Cosgrove P (2020) Suffolk Marine Pioneer: Policy brief. Suffolk Coast & Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Dock Lane, Melton, 10pp.
- Holt A (2019) Valuation of carbon storage, sequestration and sea bass production in the Deben Estuary. Natural Capital Solutions Ltd, report to Suffolk Marine Pioneer, 9pp.
- Rogers M, Moller I (2019) Wave protection provided by salt marshes. University of Cambridge, report to Suffolk Marine Pioneer, 9pp.
- Slee NJD, Parris A, Underwood GJC (2018) Deben Estuary salt marsh status: extent, carbon stocks and Sea Bass nursery values, and the potential gain in these natural capital assets from successful restoration. University of Essex, report to Suffolk Marine Pioneer, 28pp.
2018 Healthy Estuaries 2020: An Assessment of Estuary Morphological Equilibrium (NECR250) – Natural England
2017 Deben Estuary SSSI Survey
- Abrehart Ecology Ltd (2017) Deben Estuary SSSI saltmarsh vegetation fixed transects – Identification/Establishment/Benchmark survey. Report to Natural England, Environment Agency, and Deben Estuary Partnership, Project Reference No: RP03044, 47pp.
2015 Environment Agency – Modelling decision support framework (MDSF2) for flood risk management strategies
- Flikweert J, Sayers P, Stevens R (2015) Modelling decision support framework (MDSF2) for flood risk management strategies. Report to the Environment Agency, SC120062/R, 65pp. ISBN 978-1-84911-356-4.
2012-2016 iCOASST: Integrated Coastal Sediment Systems
- Burningham H, French JR (2017) Understanding coastal change using shoreline trend analysis supported by cluster-based segmentation. Geomorphology, 282, 131-149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2016.12.029
- Karunarathna H, Horrillo-Caraballo JM, Burningham H, Pan S, Reeve DE (2016) Two-dimensional reduced-physics model to describe historic morphodynamic behaviour of an estuary inlet, Marine Geology, 382, 200–209.
- Thornhill G, French JR, Burningham H (2015) ESTEEM – A new ‘hybrid complexity’ model for simulating estuary morphological evolution at decadal to centennial scales. Coastal Sediments 2015 (Proceedings of). ISBN: 978-981-4689-96-0
- Van Maanen B, Walkden MJA, Nicholls RJ (2015) Modelling inlet dynamics to explore coupled system behaviour over decadal scales. Coastal Sediments 2015 (Proceedings of). ISBN: 978-981-4689-96-0
Other research publications
- Austin GE, Rehfisch MM (2003) The likely impact of sea level rise on waders (Charadrii) wintering on estuaries. Journal for Nature Conservation, 11(1), 43-58. https://doi.org/10.1078/1617-1381-00029
- Burningham H, French JR (2006) Morphodynamic behaviour of a mixed sand-gravel ebb-tidal delta: Deben estuary, Suffolk, UK. Marine Geology 225(1-4), 23-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2005.09.009
- Burningham H, French JR (2007) Morphodynamics and sedimentology of mixed-sediment inlets. Journal of Coastal Research SI50, 710-715. https://www.jstor.org/stable/26481678
- Frostick LE, McCave IN (1979) Seasonal shifts of sediment within an estuary mediated by algal growth. Estuarine and Coastal Marine Science, 9(5), 569-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/0302-3524(79)90080-X
- Griffiths D, Burningham H (2018) Comparison of pre-and self-calibrated camera calibration models for UAS-derived nadir imagery for a SfM application. Progress in Physical Geography. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309133318788964
- Nedwell DB, Sage AS, Underwood GJC (2002) Rapid assessment of macro algal cover on intertidal sediments in a nutrified estuary. Science of the Total Environment, 285(1-3), 97-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(01)00900-7
- Reeve DE, Karunarathna H (2009) On the prediction of long-term morphodynamic response of estuarine systems to sea level rise and human interference. Continental Shelf Research, 29(7), 938-950. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2009.01.010
- Yin Y, Karunarathna H, Reeve DE (2019) Numerical modelling of hydrodynamic and morphodynamic response of a meso-tidal estuary inlet to the impacts of global climate variabilities. Marine Geology, 407, 229-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2018.11.005